Grenfell Tower Families to be rehoused in flats at luxury complex and not all are happy about it

Imoh Ekpo June 22, 2017 0
Grenfell Tower Families to be rehoused in flats at luxury complex and not all are happy about it

The Government have announced plans to relocate the survivors of last’s week’s Grenfell Tower tragedy.

The death toll of the fire is now at least 79 with several others still reportedly missing.

After Theresa May publicly stated that the immediate response to Grenfell was not good enough, it seems the Government are finally pulling their socks up as Sixty-eight flats are being made available to the families of the terrible Grenfell Tower tragedy in a complex where prices start at £1.6m. Families will take up permanent residence in July and August in the Kensington Row scheme about 1.5 miles south of Grenfell.

Communities Secretary Sajid Javid said: “Our priority is to get everyone who has lost their home permanently rehoused locally as soon as possible so that they can begin to rebuild their lives”

The move follows calls from Leader of the Opposition- Jeremy Corbyn for luxury homes to be requisitioned. Corbyn stated last week: “Kensington is a tale of two cities. The south part of Kensington is incredibly wealthy. It’s the wealthiest part of the whole country. The ward where this fire took place is, I think, the poorest ward in the whole country and properties must be found- requisitioned if necessary- to make sure those residents do get rehoused locally.”

This did not come as good news to all as some current residents in Kensington Row expressed dismay.

One woman who bought her flat two years ago told the Guardian: “We paid a lot of money to live here, and we worked hard for it. Now, these people are going to come along and they won’t even be paying the service charge.”

Another claimed it would degrade thing he told the paper: “I’m very sad people have lost their homes but there are a lot of people here who have bought flats and will now see the values drop.”

 

Leave A Response »