Manchester United’s Mason Greenwood Has Attempted Rape Charges Dropped
2 Feb 2023
Manchester United Football Mason Greenwood has had all charges against him dropped by the Crown Prosecution Service.
Charges including attempted rape and assault against a 21-year-old man had been discontinued as of February 2, Greater Manchester Police confirmed.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it had a “duty to stop the case” following the “withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light” with there now being “no longer a realistic prospect of conviction”.
Ch Supt Michaela Kerr said “I would, however, like to use this opportunity to reiterate the force’s commitment to investigating allegations of violence against women and girls and supporting those affected, regardless of their circumstances, throughout what can be a hard and upsetting time for them.”
A trial date had been set for 27 November this year.