Student Loses All His Limbs After Eating Roommate’s Leftover Takeaway

Jesse Williams

By Jesse Williams

Jesse Williams

20 Mar 2023

A student tragically lost all their limbs after eating some of his roommate’s leftover takeaway.

According to a report in the New England Journal of Medicine, the 19-year-old student was admitted to the hospital with multiple organ failure just hours after tucking into the remainder of his friends chicken noodles.

Before being taken to the hospital the student was too have experienced abnormal breathing, high blood pressure and vomiting.

The report states: “The patient had been well until 20 hours before this admission when diffuse abdominal pain and nausea developed after he ate rice, chicken, and lo mein leftovers from a restaurant meal,”

“The abdominal pain and vomiting were followed by the development of chills, generalised weakness, progressively worsening diffuse myalgias, chest pain, shortness of breath, headache, neck stiffness, and blurry vision. Five hours before this admission, purplish discolouration of the skin developed.”

Following further tests, he was diagnosed with meningococcal purpura fulminan disease, which caused his stiff neck, nausea, respiratory collapse, shock and organ failure, according to the report.

Over the course of his hospital stay, his condition worsened and he developed gangrene at which point his doctors had to amputate his legs and fingers.